Μπείτε στο site
Σελίδα 1 από 3 123 ΤελευταίαΤελευταία
Εμφάνιση αποτελεσμάτων : 1 έως 10 από 24
    Peri ΠΛΑΝΩΜΕΝΟΣ Το avatar του χρήστη perifan_4_ever
    Περιοχή
    Athens

Michael Jackson: The latest news following his death

Insomniac Jackson begged for drug

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjeE3g4PmiE"]YouTube - Michael Jackson's Nurse Speaks Out / July 1, 2009[/ame]

LOS ANGELES – Michael Jackson was so distraught over persistent insomnia in recent months that he pleaded for a powerful sedative despite warnings it could be harmful, says a nutritionist who was working with the singer as he prepared his comeback bid.
    Cherilyn Lee, a registered nurse whose specialty includes nutritional counseling, said Tuesday that she repeatedly rejected his demands for the drug, Diprivan, which is given intravenously.
    But a frantic phone call she received from Jackson four days before his death made her fear that he somehow obtained Diprivan or another drug to induce sleep, Lee said.
    While in Florida on June 21, Lee was contacted by a member of Jackson's staff.
    "He called and was very frantic and said, `Michael needs to see you right away.' I said, 'What's wrong?' And I could hear Michael in the background ..., 'One side of my body is hot, it's hot, and one side of my body is cold. It's very cold,'" Lee said.
    "I said, `Tell him he needs to go the hospital. I don't know what's going on, but he needs to go to the hospital ... right away."
    "At that point, I knew that somebody had given him something that hit the central nervous system," she said, adding, "He was in trouble Sunday and he was crying out."
    Jackson did not go to the hospital. He died June 25 after suffering cardiac arrest, his family said. Autopsies have been conducted, but an official cause of death is not expected for several weeks.
    "I don't know what happened there. The only thing I can say is he was adamant about this drug," Lee said.
    Following Jackson's death, allegations emerged that the 50-year-old King of Pop had been consuming painkillers, sedatives and antidepressants. But Lee said she encountered a man tortured by sleep deprivation and one who expressed opposition to recreational drug use.
    "He wasn't looking to get high or feel good and sedated from drugs," she said. "This was a person who was not on drugs. This was a person who was seeking help, desperately, to get some sleep, to get some rest."
    Jackson was rehearsing hard for what would have been his big comeback — his "This Is It" tour, a series of performances that would have strained his aging dancer's body. Also, pain had been a part of his life since 1984, when his scalp was severely burned during a Pepsi commercial shoot.
    "The Incredible Hulk" star Lou Ferrigno, who's been working out with Jackson for the past several months, said Jackson was focused on health.
    "When he was with me, he wasn't different. He wasn't stoned. He wasn't high. He wasn't being aloof or speedy. Never talked about drugs," Ferrigno said. "I've never seen him take drugs. He was always talking about nutrition."
    Several months ago, Jackson had begun badgering Lee about Diprivan, also known as Propofol, Lee said. It is an intravenous anesthetic drug widely used in operating rooms to induce unconsciousness. It is generally given through an IV needle in the hand.
    Patients given Propofol take less time to regain consciousness than those administered certain other drugs, and they report waking up more clear-headed and refreshed, said University of Chicago psychopharmacologist James Zacny.
    It has also been implicated in drug abuse, with people using it to "chill out" or to commit suicide, Zacny said. Accidental deaths linked to abuse have been reported. The powerful drug has a very narrow therapeutic window, meaning it doesn't take doses much larger than the medically recommended amount to stop a person's breathing.

An overdose that stops breathing can result in a buildup of carbon dioxide, causing the heart to beat erratically and leading to cardiac arrest, said Dr. John Dombrowski, a member of the board of directors of the American Society of Anesthesiologists.
    Because it is given intravenously and is not the kind of prescription drug typically available from pharmacists, abuse cases have involved anesthesiologists, nurses and other hospital staffers with easy access to the drug, Zacny said.
    In recent months, Lee said, Jackson waved away her warnings about it.
    "I had an IV and when it hit my vein, I was sleeping. That's what I want," Lee said Jackson told her.
    "I said, 'Michael, the only problem with you taking this medication' — and I had a chill in my body and tears in my eyes three months ago — 'the only problem is you're going to take it and you're not going to wake up," she recalled.
    According to Lee, Jackson said it had been given to him before but he didn't want to discuss the circumstances or identify the doctor involved.
    Londell McMillan, attorney for Katherine and Joe Jackson, talked about Lee's disclosures Tuesday on CNN.
    "It's a hearsay comment. It would be inadmissible anywhere in a court of law," he said. "I also wonder why anyone would make a comment about something that they don't have much knowledge about. They didn't see the drug administered. It's again because of the Michael Jackson factor."
    Lee said the singer drew his own distinctions when it came to drugs versus prescription medicine.
    "He said, `I don't like drugs. I don't want any drugs. My doctor told me this is a safe medicine,'" Lee said. The next day, she said she brought a copy of the Physician's Desk Reference to show him the section on Diprivan.
    "He said, 'No, my doctor said it's safe. It works quick and it's safe as long as somebody's here to monitor me and wake me up. It's going be OK,'" Lee said. She said he did not give the doctor's name.
    Lee said at one point, she spent the night with Jackson to monitor him while he slept. She said she gave him herbal remedies and stayed in a corner chair in his vast bedroom.
    After he settled in bed, Lee told Jackson to turn down the lights and music — he had classical music playing in the house. "He also had a computer on the bed because he loved Walt Disney," she said. "He was watching Donald Duck and it was ongoing. I said, `Maybe if we put on softer music,' and he said, `No, this is how I go to sleep.'"
    Three and a half hours later, Jackson jumped up and looked at Lee, eyes wide open, according to Lee. "This is what happens to me," she quoted him as saying. "All I want is to be able to sleep. I want to be able to sleep eight hours. I know I'll feel better the next day."
    Lee, 56, is licensed as a registered nurse and nurse practitioner in California, according to the state Board of Registered Nursing's Web site. She attended Los Angeles Southwest College and the Charles Drew University of Medicine and Sciences in Los Angeles.
    Comedian Dick Gregory, who knows Lee and her work, said he believes Jackson's insomnia had its roots in the pop star's 2005 trial on child molestation charges. Jackson's health had deteriorated so much that his parents called Gregory, a natural foods proponent, for help.
    Gregory said Jackson wasn't eating or drinking at the time and, after he was persuaded by Gregory to undergo testing, ended up hospitalized for severe dehydration.
    But Jackson obviously was healthy enough to withstand the level of medical scrutiny needed to insure him for the upcoming high-stakes London concerts, Gregory said. "That you don't trick," he said of the exams.
    Lee, who has also worked with Stevie Wonder, Marla Gibbs, Reynaldo Rey and other celebrities, said she was introduced to Jackson by the mother of one of his staff members. Jackson's three children had minor cold symptoms and their pediatrician was out of town.
    Lee said she went to the house in January, the first of about 10 visits there through April, and treated the children with vitamins. Michael, intrigued, asked what else she did and took her up on her claim she could boost his energy.
    After running blood tests, she devised protein shakes for him and gave him an intravenous vitamin and mineral mixture — known as a "Myers cocktail," after Dr. John Myers — which Lee said she uses routinely in her practice.
    "It wasn't that he felt sick," she said. "He just wanted more energy."
    Lee said she decided to speak out to protect Jackson's reputation from what she considers unfounded allegations of drug abuse or shortcomings as a parent. "I think it's so wrong for people to say these things about him," she said. "He was a wonderful, loving father who wanted the best for his children."

AP Medical Writer Lindsey Tanner in Chicago, AP Television Writer David Bauder in New York contributed to this report and AP Television reporter Natalie Rotman in Los Angeles contributed to this story.
    Τελευταία επεξεργασία από το χρήστη perifan_4_ever : 02-07-09 στις 06:05

Περιοχή
    Athens
    Los Angeles Police Make Undercover House Call to Michael Jackson's personal Doctor..

Tue Jun 30, 10:05 pm ET
    Los Angeles (E! Online) – The Los Angeles Police Department is turning up the heat on their investigation into Michael Jackson's untimely death—by actually packing heat for what was supposed to be another meeting with Dr. Conrad Murray.
    It's unclear, however, if cops ever actually made contact with the doctor, who, his lawyer insists, has been cleared as a suspect in Jackson's death.
    Police activity continued outside Murray's L.A.-area condo for nearly an hour and a half this morning.
    Around 10:30 a.m., armed police detectives arrived at Murray's building in an unmarked gold-colored sedan. The vehicle, driven by a man in a red shirt and aviator sunglasses, pulled into the underground parking garage, but left several minutes and circled the block.
    Then, shortly after 11 a.m. a second unmarked police car, this time taking the form of a green-hued sedan, parked in the alley adjacent to the doctor's condo, pulling up alongside the first detective. Behind the wheel of the second car was an undercover officer wearing a handgun on his hip.
    A few minutes later, a police cruiser turned up at the scene and the uniformed officer got out of the squad car to speak with the two detectives.
    By noon, all three cars had vanished from the condo's grounds.
    An LAPD spokesperson declined to comment on this morning's events, citing their "ongoing investigation" into Jackson's death. A lawyer for the doctor told E! News that Murray has been cooperative and is definitely "not hiding out."
    "As far as we know, [the visit] had nothing to do with our client," said Miranda Sevcik, a spokesman for Murray's Houston-based lawyers.
    Murray's luck took a turn for the better later today, when police returned his BMW, which they had seized as evidence last week outside Jackson's home. The silver sedan has since been spotted parked outside the doctors L.A. residence.
    Meanwhile, a source close to the police investigation confirmed today that detectives are focusing their efforts on Jackson's prescription drug intake, saying that yesterday's search of the star's Holmby Hills mansion came after officers obtained two search warrants.
    Which was apparently nothing more than a formality.
    Los Angeles Assistant Chief Coroner Ed Winter said that the Jackson family was more than cooperative in allowing him and the LAPD into the residence.
    "The family assisted us in going into the home," he told E! News. "I'm not going to comment on whether or not there was a search warrant."
    While investigators have yet to specify what exactly they found in the home, and have so far declined to either confirm or deny reports that needles were among the evidence they collected, they apparently did find a few things of interest, leaving the residence with two large plastic bags.
    "They were seeking medications, controlled substances and paraphernalia," the source said.
    —Additional reporting by Ken Baker
    Τελευταία επεξεργασία από το χρήστη perifan_4_ever : 01-07-09 στις 09:37

Περιοχή
    Athens
    LOS ANGELES (AP) — Michael Jackson's will gives guardianship over his children to the singer's mother and leaves all his assets in a trust fund, a person with knowledge of the document told The Associated Press on Tuesday.

The word came just a day after the family said in court documents it believed the entertainer had died without a valid will and moved to take control over his estate.
    The will was signed on July 7, 2002, and named as executors Jackson's longtime lawyer John Branca and John McClain, a music executive and a family friend, said the person, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak on the topic. The Jackson family and its lawyers are reviewing the document, the person said.
    According to a statement given to CNN's "Larry King Live" on behalf of Branca and McClain, the two men are carrying out Jackson's wishes and "it is their sincere desire that Michael's affairs be handled with dignity and respect."
    That designation complicates a petition by Jackson's mother Katherine to become the administrator of his lucrative, but debt-encumbered estate.
    In documents filed in Superior Court on Monday, Jackson's parents say they believe their 50-year-old son died "intestate," or without a valid will.
    Judge Mitchell Beckloff granted 79-year-old Katherine Jackson temporary guardianship of his three children, who range in age from 7 to 12.
    He also gave her control over some of her son's personal property that is now in the hands of an unnamed third party. But the judge did not immediately rule on her requests to take charge of the children's and Jackson's estates.
    Experts said the personal bankruptcy of Jackson's parents in 1999 could work against Katherine taking control of the estate.
    Court documents show Katherine and Joe Jackson filed for Chapter 7 and listed nearly $24 million in debts that included court judgments, auto loans and credit cards. The only valuable asset listed was a house in Las Vegas then valued at $290,000. The bankruptcy was terminated in March 2007, but the documents gave no further details.
    "I think it would be a negative factor but not necessarily a disqualifier," said Beth Kaufman, a Washington, D.C.-based attorney specializing in estate tax issues. "It could indicate that she is not capable of sound financial management."

The will surfaced on a day that members of Jackson's family met with officials from the police and California Highway Patrol about funeral services for the King of Pop.
    California Highway Patrol spokeswoman Fran Clader said the meeting was held Tuesday afternoon and "details are still pending."
    There has been intense speculation since Jackson died Thursday over where and when a memorial service will be held.
    One potential site is Jackson's Neverland Ranch, which is located in the rolling hills of central California's wine country, about 150 miles northwest of Los Angeles. Late Tuesday a large truck carrying a backhoe was seen leaving the ranch.
    Officials from the local board of supervisors, the county executive and law enforcement met Tuesday to discuss the possibility of restricting parking along parts of Figueroa Mountain Road, which runs past Neverland.
    County Executive William Boyer said the meeting was to prepare in case a public event was staged at the ranch, which would overwhelm the two-lane narrow road with media and fans. He said he was not in contact with the family and was not aware of their wishes.
    It was unclear whether Jackson could be legally buried at the ranch. California Funeral Directors Association executive director Bob Achermann said state law would prohibit Jackson's uncremated remains from being interred at Neverland.
    The state's health and safety code makes interring any uncremated remains outside of a cemetery a misdemeanor, he said. Cremated remains can be kept in a home or private mausoleum outside a cemetery, he said.
    At once a symbol of Jackson's success and excesses, Neverland became the site of a makeshift memorial after his death Thursday. Scores of fans have streamed past the gated entrance to leave handwritten notes, photographs, balloons and flowers.
    Jackson fled the ranch — and the country — after his acquittal on charges that he molested a 13-year-old cancer survivor in 2003 at the estate after getting him drunk.
    Also Tuesday, it was learned that Jackson was recently in shaky financial health. In the most detailed account yet of the singer's tangled financial empire, documents obtained by the AP show Jackson claimed to have a net worth of $236.6 million as of March 31, 2007.
    Since that time both Jackson's debts and assets grew substantially — he refinanced loans later that year that increased his debt load by tens of millions of dollars, but the Sony/ATV Music Publishing joint venture he is a part of also spent hundreds of millions acquiring new songs.
    Jackson's own health was a concern in his final days. A nutritionist who was working with the singer as he prepared his comeback bid said Jackson was so distraught over persistent insomnia in recent months that he pleaded for a powerful sedative despite warnings it could be harmful.
    Cherilyn Lee, a registered nurse whose specialty includes nutritional counseling, said she got a frantic phone call from Jackson four days before his death that made her fear that he somehow obtained Diprivan or another drug to induce sleep.
    Lee said Jackson in the call complained that one side of his body felt hot and the other side was cold, prompting her to believe the "somebody had given him something that hit the central nervous system."
    "He was in trouble Sunday and he was crying out," she said.
    Meanwhile, on the other coast Tuesday, some 600 Jackson fans crammed into New York City's famed Apollo Theater for a public tribute to the performer, clutching photographs, cheering and dancing to his music at the legendary venue that launched the one-time child star's career. "He knew he was loved, but he didn't know he was this loved," said one participant, Rosiland Sargent, 59, of West Orange, N.J.
    Τελευταία επεξεργασία από το χρήστη perifan_4_ever : 01-07-09 στις 09:38

Περιοχή
    Athens
    Michael Jackson Will: Mom, Diana Ross, Yes; Debbie Rowe, No

Gina Serpe Gina Serpe – 1 hr 44 mins ago
    Los Angeles (E! Online) – We pretty much knew the basic details of what was going to be in Michael Jackson's will based on the scant details that trickled out yesterday.
    One bombshell excepted.
    The five-page, seven-year-old document, signed on July 7, 2002, was filed in Los Angeles court this morning. In it, the King of Pop gives custody of his three children to his mother, Katherine, and stipulates that all his estate and assets—which, as previously reported, hovered around $567 million in 2007, with a net worth of $236.6 million—be placed in the private Michael Jackson Family Trust.
    As for that surprise…
    In the document, Jackson names Diana Ross as his choice for alternate guardian of his kids in the event his now 80-year-old mother was unable to raise them.
    "If any of my children are minors at the time of my death, I nominate my mother, Katherine Jackson as guardian of the persons and estates of such minor children.
    "If Katherine Jackson fails to survive me, or is unable or unwilling to act as guardian, I nominate Diana Ross as guardian of the persons and estates of such minor children."
    It's unclear if the choice is as much news to Ross as the rest of the world or if Michael Jackson had ever approached her about the responsibility.
    The former Supreme certainly never let on, as the statement she released in the wake of her former Motown stable mate and Wiz costar's death simply said she was "in prayer for his kids and the family."
    Also name-checked in the will is the (recently disputed) mother of his eldest two children, Deborah Rowe, of whom Jackson writes: "I have intentionally omitted to provide for my former wife."
    According to the will, Jackson's estate "consists of non-cash, non-liquid assets, including primarily an interest in a catalog of music royalty rights which is currently being administered by Sony-ATV, and interests in various entities."
    The document was written up by the late star's longtime lawyer John Branca and veteran music exec and family friend John McClain, both of whom were named as executors of both the will and the Jackson estate.
    However, despite what's laid out in the will, during a probate hearing in Los Angeles Superior Court this morning, a judge ruled that Katherine Jackson will at least temporarily remain as special administrator of her son's estate.
    Paul Hoffman, the attorney representing Branca and McClain, requested immediate control over the estate, stating that they were worried small items could possibly be removed from the house before the reins were handed over.
    Hoffman also expressed concern that Katherine was "exceeding her powers" as administrator of the estate as it pertained to "accessing cash." He also indicated that Branca and McClain wanted to negotiate a deal on the $85 million in ticket sales for Jackson's would-be London comeback concerts before the ticket money is refunded.
    A second probate hearing on the matter has been scheduled for Monday, with Judge Mitchell L. Beckloff opting not to rule on the request due to a lack of urgency...and, apparently, desire to avoid a nasty public battle.
    "I would like the family to sit down and try to make this work so that we don't have a difficult time in court," the judge said.

Hoffman argued that the wait, which spans just one-and-a-half court days due to the holiday weekend, was unnecessary as he does not believe any other possibly contradictory will may surface.
    "None of his financial advisors are aware of another will," he said.
    As for the will his advisors are aware of...
    "The most important element of Michael's will is his unwavering desire that his mother, Katherine, become the legal guardian for his three children," Branca and McClain said in a joint statement.
    "As we work to carry out Michael's instructions to safeguard both the future of his children as well as the remarkable legacy he left us as an artist we ask that all matters involving his estate be handled with the dignity and the respect that Michael and his family deserve."
    While the will was originally expected to be filed in court yesterday afternoon, it didn't make it to the courthouse until this morning to give the Jackson family time to review the document.
    As for the Jackson estate, it's already under new management.
    In the wake of not exactly well-received press conferences from Joe Jackson, the crisis management public relations firm of Sitrick and Company has confirmed to E! News that they are now representing the pop star's estate. —Reporting by Claudia Rosenbaum and Ashley Fultz
    Τελευταία επεξεργασία από το χρήστη perifan_4_ever : 02-07-09 στις 02:22

Περιοχή
    Athens
    Michael Jackson album sales explode since death

AP – A vender sells T-shirts at a makeshift memorial outside the family home of the late pop star Michael …

Wed Jul 1, 2:58 pm ET
    LOS ANGELES – Michael Jackson's album sales have exploded — three of his albums are in the top three spots and 2.3 million tracks have been downloaded in the United States since his death, Nielsen SoundScan said Wednesday.
    Album sales for the week through Sunday hit 422,000 in the U.S., up from 10,000 a week earlier. The week's tally was greater than all the Jackson albums sold from the start of the year to June 21.
    The top three albums were "Number Ones," "Essential Michael Jackson," and "Thriller." The Black Eyed Peas' latest CD came in fourth.
    The 2.3 million digital downloads for the week was a record-breaking rise from the 37,300 the previous week. No single artist has sold more than a million digital tracks in a week since Nielsen began counting in July 2004.
    When adding in all Jackson 5 songs as well as sales in Canada, Europe, Australia and New Zealand, digital downloads for the week hit 3.3 million, up from 52,000 the previous week, SoundScan said.

Περιοχή
    Athens
    Shameless Joe Jackson

Is Michael Jackson's father tainting the late singer's legacy with his public antics?

• By: Jimi Izrael | Posted: June 30, 2009 at 8:07 AM

On the red carpet at the BET Awards, as CNN’s Don Lemon interviewed him, Joe Jackson was contemptuous and put-off, willing to give only terse, perfunctory answers to complicated questions. Jackson, resembling a baked potato in a pair of cheap sunglasses, came off more as a gold miner eager to stake a claim than the grieving father of his world-famous son.
    I have friends who have lost parakeets, dogs, guinea pigs and wino uncles, and they’ve spent more time in mourning than Michael Jackson's father. I've been more distraught over bad sushi. He struck me as someone with a hurried agenda—in a hurry to cash a check—more than a man who has lost a son. What kind of grieving father pulls in publicists to give a statement about their grief, or a lawyer/yes-man, or some kind of micro-pimp huckster in a wide-brimmed hat to talk up some bootleg Blu-ray disk scheme?
    At the BET Awards, Joe Jackson seemed far less interested in his son’s legacy, the lingering questions surrounding his death and the children he left behind. Instead, he took the opportunity to try to market some new brand of pop-music smack on the world. It was a bad look.
    Later Jackson held a press conference—with Rev. Al Sharpton at his side—to offer some clarification on his red carpet demeanor. The press conference stank like cheap cigars and old malt liquor. It seems that he just wanted people to know that he and the family name will go on. But who needs spin at a time like this? I can’t think of anyone less qualified than Sharpton to be a Jackson family representative. Maybe bin Laden? Mike Tyson?
    The Jackson family circus doesn’t need any more attractions right now. Sharpton’s appearance stokes the media madness and taints the solemnity of the moment. At the press conference, Jackson also talked about how he and his wife were taking responsibility for MJ’s children, but the couple have been estranged for years—they live in separate homes. Maybe I’m old-fashioned, but in my way of thinking, they probably aren’t the ideal couple to take on the responsibility of raising young children.
    It’s notable that only Katherine Jackson has been granted temporary custody. He recently joined the petition, but all of it is quite sketchy.
    In so many ways, there seems to be two Joe Jacksons. Rock-and-roll folklore gives us the portrait of the hard-working, blue-collar dad who looked into the eyes of his children and saw the flame that became The Jackson 5 and the force that was his uber-talented son, Michael. Then there is the other Joe Jackson, the one Michael remembered as hard-driving and abusive, the taskmaster hanging his dreams on the backs of his boys. The other Jackson children tell similar stories about their dad “motivating” them to perform with emotional and physical abuse.
    So what will Joe do for his granchildren? “We gonna take care of them and give them the education they supposed to have,” he said at his press conference. The idea of this man trying to grandfather children who are probably already traumatized is, as Sharpton might say, "troubling" at best.
    Under no circumstance should Joe Jackson be involved in raising these kids. We know how that turns out. And at 79, Katherine Jackson is not the ideal person to take custody of the children either. It may be time for mother Debbie Rowe to re-assume a role in her children’s life; there is too much at stake. I don’t know what kind of woman sells her children, but I feel better about her parenting skills than the Jacksons'.
    Sad, right?
    But it’s one of those choices between the evil you know versus the one you don’t. Someone needs to protect these children, and I don’t think Joe Jackson is cut out for that. I don’t doubt that Joe Jackson loved his son. But I doubt he is the best person to tend to his legacy.

Περιοχή
    Athens
    PHOTOS: Michael Jackson's Last Concert Rehearsal

Michael Jackson on June 23, 2009, rehearsing for planned London shows

Photos from Michael Jackson's last performance, taken just two days before his death, have surfaced and show the King of Pop rehearsing for his upcoming London tour.

Jackson, dressed in several stage outfits and showing off his dance moves with backup dancers, was photographed at a rehearsal inside L.A.'s Staples Center on June 23 where "he had great energy," according to producer Ken Ehrlich, an executive at AEG, the company that was promoting the singer's tour.

Ehrlich, who watched the performance and met with Jackson, tells PEOPLE, "He was definitely in rehearsal mode [and] wasn't giving it full out. But vocally, he had started to really project. I thought he was in great form. He just seemed really healthy. He really looked good and he was very upbeat."

During their brief 20-minute conversation, Jackson was "cracking jokes," adds Ehrlich. "He was having a good time. During rehearsal, I could tell that he was feeling it. He was feeling good. He was on his way to giving a great performance."

AEG Chief: Rehearsal footage may become motion pic

LOS ANGELES – The footage of Michael Jackson's last rehearsal may be coming to a theater near you.
    Randy Phillips, the CEO of concert promoter AEG, says there are over 100 hours of documentary footage of Jackson preparing for his comeback performances in London. He says there's talk of turning that material into a motion picture or a pay-per-view event.
    Phillips also says the Jackson family wants to have his memorial at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, but all the details haven't been finalized yet. He says more details should come later today.

Περιοχή
    Athens
    Lawyer: Rowe deciding whether to seek custody

By ANTHONY MCCARTNEY, AP Entertainment Writer Anthony Mccartney, Ap Entertainment Writer – 2 hrs 4 mins ago

LOS ANGELES – Deborah Rowe, the ex-wife of Michael Jackson and the mother of two of his children, has not reached a final decision on whether to seek custody of the children, a lawyer said Thursday.
    Attorney Eric M. George made the disclosure on a telephone conference call but declined to take questions.
    "The truth is that Debbie has not reach a final decision concerning the pending custody proceedings," he said. "When Debbie does take a position in the public forum of the court, those positions will of course be conveyed to all interested persons."
    Earlier in the day, Superior Court Judge Mitchell Beckloff rescheduled a guardianship hearing for July 13 at the request of attorneys for Rowe and for Katherine Jackson, the singer's mother, who has temporary guardianship of her son's three children.
    The legal documents filed in connection with the request were not accompanied by any petition for custody by Rowe.
    Earlier, KNBC in Los Angeles reported that Rowe intends to seek custody of Jackson's two oldest children and will seek a restraining order to keep Jackson's father Joe away from the children.
    Rowe is the mother of Jackson's two oldest children, son Michael Joseph Jr., known as Prince Michael, 12; daughter Paris Michael Katherine, 11.
    The mother of the singer's youngest child, son Prince Michael II, 7, has never been revealed.
    Another hearing will proceed as planned Monday on who will take temporary control of Jackson's estate.
    Jackson's memorial service will be held Tuesday at Staples Center in downtown Los Angeles — if that's what his mother wants.
    Randy Phillips, chief executive for AEG Live, which owns Staples and was Jackson's promoter, said he met Thursday with Jackson's brother Randy.
    Phillips was hopeful Katherine Jackson would make her decision later in the day. AEG already has been discussing logistics with city officials, he said.
    A Jackson memorial would attract tens of thousands. AEG planned to issue tickets to Staples and provide a simulcast on big screens outside the arena, Phillips said.
    Entry to Staples would be free, but Phillips was not sure yet how tickets would be distributed.
    The discussions were held as the federal Drug Enforcement Administration joined the investigation into Jackson's death, and Jermaine Jackson said he would be "hurt" if toxicology reports showed his younger brother abused prescription drugs.
    "In this business, the pressures and things that you go through, you never know what one turns to," Jermaine Jackson said in an interview on NBC's "Today" show.
    The circumstances surrounding Jackson's death last week have become a federal issue, with the DEA asked to help police take a look at the pop star's doctors and possible drug use. Allegations have emerged that the 50-year-old entertainer had been consuming painkillers, sedatives and antidepressants.

Asked if he would be shocked or surprised if Michael's drug use was proven, Jermaine Jackson said, "I would be hurt." He said he had heard about prescription drug use in the 1980s when his brother was hurt in an accident filming a commercial but did not know if drug use was a possibility more recently.
    "I don't know about these things, because I hate anything with drugs," he said, adding that it hurts the family for people to say things about drug use "because we don't know."
    The Los Angeles Police Department asked the DEA to help in the probe, a law enforcement official in Washington told the AP on condition of anonymity because of the investigation's sensitivity.
    On the legal front, a person familiar with the details of the Michael Jackson Family Trust said it would be shared between his mother, who gets 40 percent, his three children, who get 40 percent, and charities for children, which would receive 20 percent. The charities will be determined later by the trust.
    The person, who was not authorized to speak publicly and requested anonymity, said there were no competing wills.
    Since Jackson's death, Sony Music has been deluged with requests for record rereleases, while fans have also been clamoring for copies of "Moon Walk," Jackson's 1988 autobiography.
    New copies of the out-of-print book were being offered on Amazon.com for as much as $2,100 for a signed copy.
    Jackson's 7-year-old will was filed in a Los Angeles court, giving his entire estate to the trust and naming his 79-year-old mother and his three children as beneficiaries. The will also estimates the value of his estate at more than $500 million.
    The will doesn't name father Joe Jackson to any position of authority in administering the estate. Also shut out is Rowe. Jackson owned a 50 percent stake in the massive Sony-ATV Music Publishing Catalog, which includes music by the Beatles, Bob Dylan, Neil Diamond, Lady Gaga and the Jonas Brothers.

Περιοχή
    Athens
    Powerful sedative found in Michael Jackson's home

Play Video AP – The future for Michael Jackson's children?

AP – Luis Aldama, 17, of Salinas, Calif., holds a portrait of Micheal Jackson near the gates of the late Michael …

– Fri Jul 3, 9:36 pm ET
    LOS ANGELES – The powerful sedative Diprivan was found in Michael Jackson's home, a law enforcement official said Friday as the city planned for a massive crowd at the singer's memorial service.
    Diprivan is an anesthetic widely used in operating rooms to induce unconsciousness. Also known as Propofol, it's given intravenously and is very unusual to have in a private home.
    The law enforcement official spoke on condition of anonymity because the person was not authorized to speak about the matter.
    A Los Angeles Police spokesman, Lt. John Romero, declined to discuss the case. "It's an ongoing investigation," he said.
    The cause of Jackson's death has not been determined. Autopsy results are not expected for several weeks.
    At the downtown Staples Center, where Jackson's memorial will be held Tuesday morning, Assistant Police Chief Earl Paysinger said anywhere from 250,000 to 700,000 people could try to reach the arena, even though only 17,500 tickets will be available.
    City Councilwoman Jan Perry urged people to stay home and watch the memorial on TV. There will not be a funeral procession through the city.
    Tickets to Jackson's memorial service will be free. They can be obtained by registering at Staplescenter.com. There will be 11,000 tickets for seats inside Staples Center and 6,500 for seats in the adjacent Nokia Theatre, where fans can watch a simulcast. On Saturday night, 8,750 names will be randomly selected to receive two tickets each.
    No details about the memorial service itself were released.
    Jackson was known to have suffered from severe insomnia. In the weeks before his death, Cherilyn Lee, a registered nurse who was working with the singer, said Jackson pleaded for Diprivan amid the stress of preparing for a massive series of comeback concerts.
    Lee said she repeatedly rejected his demands because the drug was unsafe.
    Told Friday that Diprivan had been found at Jackson's house, she said, "I did everything I could to warn him against it."
    Jackson had trouble sleeping as far back as 1989, said one of his former publicists, Rob Goldstone, who spent a month on the road with Jackson during the "Bad" tour.
    "He had very bad nightmares, he found it very difficult to sleep," Goldstone said.
    Diprivan, which has a milky appearance, is sometimes nicknamed "milk of amnesia." Last fall, doctors from the Mayo Clinic warned at a conference that in rare cases, Diprivan can trigger an irreversible chain of events leading to heart dysfunction and death.
    They said three patients receiving Diprivan to treat severe seizures had suffered cardiac arrest, and two died. The doctors said the clinic stopped using Diprivan to treat such patients because of the danger.
    The drug's manufacturer, AstraZeneca PLC, warns that patients using Diprivan should be continuously monitored, and in a tiny number of cases patients using it have suffered cardiac arrest, although it was not clear the drug was to blame.

Authorities are investigating allegations that the 50-year-old Jackson had been consuming painkillers, sedatives and antidepressants. Any criminal charges would depend on whether Jackson had been overly prescribed medications, given drugs inappropriate for his needs, or if doctors knowingly prescribed Jackson medications under an assumed name.
    Edward Chernoff, an attorney for Jackson's doctor, Dr. Conrad Murray, said Friday through a spokeswoman that he had agreed with investigators not to comment until information is released through official channels. Murray was in Jackson's rented mansion when the singer went into cardiac arrest in his bedroom on June 25.
    Murray has spoken to police and authorities say he is not a suspect. In an earlier interview, Chernoff said Murray never gave or prescribed Jackson the painkillers Demerol or OxyContin, and denied reports suggesting that the doctor gave the pop star drugs that contributed to his death.
    Chernoff would not discuss what drugs the doctor administered to Jackson, but said they would have been prescribed in response to a specific complaint. ___
    Τελευταία επεξεργασία από το χρήστη perifan_4_ever : 04-07-09 στις 09:19

Περιοχή
    Athens
    LA police plan for huge crowd at Jackson memorial

Fri Jul 3, 6:15 pm ET
    LOS ANGELES – Los Angeles city officials are preparing for massive crowds downtown during Tuesday's public memorial for Michael Jackson at Staples Center, even though only 17,500 tickets are being offered to the public.
    Assistant Police Chief Earl Paysinger says anywhere from a quarter-million to 700,000 people may try to reach the arena, even though a wide area around Staples Center will be sealed off to those without tickets.
    City Councilwoman Jan Perry strongly urged people to stay home and watch the memorial on TV. The ceremony will not be shown on Staples' giant outdoor TV screen and there will be no funeral procession through the city.
    But public safety officials appeared to assume their requests to stay home would have little effect. Since Jackson's death, fans have flocked to Jackson sites from Los Angeles to his Neverland Ranch in rural Santa Barbara County.
    Staples Center is offering the memorial tickets through an Internet lottery. Eleven thousand tickets are for the arena and 6,500 for the adjacent Nokia Theatre.
    People who want tickets must register on the Web at Staplescenter.com. After 6 p.m. Saturday, 8,750 names will be randomly selected to receive two tickets each. Notifications will go out on Sunday.
    After the ticketing details were announced on television, it became impossible to log on to the arena's Web site.
    Brent Trueheart, 20, of Los Angeles, went online on his cellphone immediately after hearing the announcement.
    "It kept saying 'service unavailable, service unavailable,' and finally it got through. So once it got through, I started celebrating," he said. "It feels real good."
    No details were given about the actual memorial events.
    The memorial comes as the nation's second-largest city struggles with a $530 million budget deficit.
    Perry said the cost of police protection for "extraordinary" events like the memorial is built into the Police Department's budget, but she still solicited help for "incremental costs."
    Last month, donations covered about $850,000 of the city's $1 million cost for the Los Angeles Lakers' NBA championship parade. Critics had blasted the idea of using city money when it is considering layoffs to close its budget gap.
    (This version DELETES incorrect statemen that Jackson's body will not be at memorial.)

Thread Information